Every proverb has a story behind it, and a tendency to inform, inspire and motivate people to seek after wisdom. For instance, in Eritrean Society, Eritrean proverbs are precious gold mine cherished by the Elders and sought after by the younger generation.
In some villages, if two people are arguing, a little citation of Eritrean proverbs by one speaker immediately confers authority and respect on the speaker.
Eritrean Proverbs are seen as powerful ideas that can help any individual live a virtuous life.
Here are the Top 20 Eritrean Proverbs
1. When a road is good, it is used a second time
2. If a lion shows you its teeth it doesn’t mean it likes you
3. A liar sweats twice as much as an honest person
4. When you throw a stone at God, it lands right on top of your head.
5. Don’t go into business without thinking
6. If you hear a mad man talking, wait you will soon hear what makes people think he is mad.
7. A mystery of one person remains a mystery, between two becomes shaky but a mystery between three people becomes a seed spread in a farm
8. Don’t give and then take; don’t love and then hate
9. Only with aim you reach your goal
10. Two trees planted together cannot avoid brushing against each other.
11. The camel keeps on marching, while the dogs keep on barking!
12. Death is inevitable so regardless the consequences you should speak the truth.
13. Tomorrow is pregnant and no-one knows what she will give birth to
14. The shine is not so fine
15. A termite grows up in dry wood, and yet comes to maturity
16. An old man who by himself carries one load on the head and another in his hand, must have played away his youth.
17. He who pursues a chicken often falls but the chicken has to continue running.
18. The one chased away with a club comes back, but the one chased away with reason does not
19. When a road is good, it is used a second time
20. If one overeats, he will either throw up or swell