The Gambia maybe one of the smallest country in Africa but it has some proverbs that will inspire and motivate you to be the best.
As an explorer of African proverbs, one of the things I enjoy most about proverbs from Gambia is the meaning behind every words. In 2013, I come across this proverb “An enemy is an enemy , even if you dance in the water, he is still going to complain that you are raising a lot of dust and making him cough”
While I was struggling to digest the meaning of the proverb, Karamsa my Gambian friend told me that to him, an enemy was a pest who always hangs around just to make your life uncomfortable” As I engaged further with him, we came to a conclusion that those we actually refer to as enemies can be a good motivating factor if we channel our energy appropriately.
Here are the Top 15 Famous Proverbs from Gambia
Top 15 Famous Proverbs from Gambia
1. Before healing others, heal yourself.
2. However black a cow is, the milk is always white
3. Never mind if your nose is ugly as long as you can breathe through it.
4. Giant silk cotton trees grow out of very tiny seeds.
5. If a donkey kicks you and you kick back, you are both donkeys.
6. The plant protected by God is never hurt by the wind
7. Whoever comes last drinks muddy water
8. Words are like spears: Once they leave your lips they can never come back
9. He who sleeps on a borrowed mat, is sleeping on a cold, very cold ground
10. If you stir up the water in the pond, you will bring up the mud
11. An enemy is an enemy , even if you dance in the water, he is still going to complain that you are raising a lot of dust and making him cough
12. No matter how long a log may float in the water, it will never become a crocodile
13. Beware of the naked man who offers you clothes
14. The eyes do not carry the load but they know what the head can carry.
15. If your only tool is a hammer, you will see every problem as a nail
What are your thoughts? Share them in the comment section. Thank you.