Tala, formerly Mkopo Rahisi, is one of Kenya’s most dependable and quick online loan applications. Unlike banks and other lending institutions, Tala processes loan requests quickly and without requiring the borrower to provide paperwork. Tala was founded by Shivani Siroya and is based in Santa Monica, California. Apart from Kenya, the fintech company also operates in Mexico, the Philippines, and India.
Learn the Secret of Forex Trading, Click here to download a free e-book now
How does Tala work?
Borrowers can get loans from the Tala app using a mobile money transfer system. This money transfer technology assists in providing quick money to those seeking instant loans for daily use as well as loans to start or expand small businesses. A simple loan request process on a smartphone can result in an instant loan of Ksh 50,000. Tala bases one’s creditworthiness on a single M-Pesa transaction. The technology determines one’s loan limit based on M-Pesa statements. The greater the amount of your M-Pesa transaction, the greater your Tala loan limit. Your loan limit increases when you repay on time and decreases when you default or borrow less than your current loan limit.
How can you apply for a Tala loan?
Step 1: Download Tala App
The Tala mobile loan app is available on Google Play for Android-enabled phones. Unfortunately, you cannot download this app from an iPhone or Windows phone.
- Open your Google Play Store app and type “Tala app” on the search button.
- From the search result list, select the Tala app, then click on the ‘Install’ button.
- Wait for the app to completely download, and then click on it to open
You will need a stable internet connection and an M-Pesa-activated phone number to complete this task successfully.
Step 2: Fill Tala loan application form
After successfully installing the app, the next step for you is to sign up for the Tala app. The information is important for processing your loan and for security reasons.
- After opening the app, click the “I’m New” button to create a Tala account.
- Enter your Safaricom M-Pesa registration number and wait for the confirmation code. Enter the confirmation code after receiving it to proceed.
- After you confirm the code, Tala will ask you to create a 4-digit PIN to secure your account. Remember to choose a memorable PIN number.
- Click the Submit button to confirm the PIN and submit the details. Tala will request confirmation that this is your new primary phone. Select “Yes.”
Your Tala account is now active. If you change your mobile phone number or forget your Tala PIN, please contact the Tala support team for assistance. In such cases, the support team may request additional information, such as an ID and a selfie to prove your ownership of the account.
Step 3: Apply for a Loan
Now that you’ve successfully registered your Tala account, you can apply for your loan right away by following these steps:
- Launch the Tala app on your phone, enter your PIN, and press the Apply Now button.
- Fill in the blanks with the correct answers to the questions on the Tala loan application form.
- Enter your desired loan amount as well as your preferred repayment period of 21 or 30 days. Keep in mind that the shorter the payment period, the lower the interest rate.
- Wait for your loan request to be reviewed and approved by clicking the submit button. You will be notified via SMS whether you are eligible for the loan or not.
If you are approved for the loan, the funds will be transferred to your M-Pesa account immediately
How Much Money Can I Borrow from the Tala app?
There are three Tala loan limits:
This is the entry-level level. If you are a qualified first-time applicant, you could receive anything from KES 500 to KES 4,999, depending on your M-Pesa statements.
Silver package allows for a minimum loan of KES 5000 and a maximum loan of KES 9,999.
Gold Package allows for a minimum loan of KES 10,000 and a maximum loan of KES 50,000.
To qualify for larger amounts of money, you should make timely loan repayments.
What are Tala Kenya Loan Interest Rates and Terms?
Instead of an interest fee, Tala charges a “Service Fee” for each loan you take.
This ‘Service Fee’ depends on the type of loan you take; 5% to 14% is charged for loans within 21 days, and 7% to 19% for loans within 30 days.
How to repay Tala’s loan
Always ensure you repay your Tala loans on time to avoid penalties and bad credit scores with Tala. Here is a straightforward repayment procedure to follow.
- Go to your M-Pesa toolkit.
- Select the Lipa na M-Pesa option on the M-Pesa menu
- Select pay bill and enter the official Tala pay bill number- 851900
- Enter the M-Pesa number you used to sign up for Tala as the account number
- Enter the loan amount you want to repay, and then enter your PIN to authorize the transaction.
- Confirm the information you’ve entered. Tala will immediately send you an SMS confirming that you have repaid your loan.
If you misplace your phone and need to repay the loan, you shouldn’t panic as you can comfortably repay the loan using any other phone number. However, ensure that the person whose phone you are using to make payments has no outstanding loan on Tala.
What happens if you default on your Tala loan repayment?
Defaulting on your Tala loan repayment can have serious consequences. If you do not repay the loan within the grace period of 60 days following the due date, Tala Loans will report your name to the CRB. Backlisting on the CRB limits your ability to obtain loans from Tala and other financial institutions in the country. If you do not repay the loan, Tala may employ the services of an outside collection agency. Once you have paid off the overdue loan, you can obtain clearance from the CRB and continue using Tala.
Tala loan contacts
If you have any complaints or inquiries, please text Tala support team at 21991 or email them at [email protected] with the details of your request. You can also find them on Twitter as @TalaKenya and Facebook as Tala.
Despite differing opinions on their interest rate, Tala loans Kenya is one of the best online mobile platforms for anyone in need of cash quickly. All you have to do is download the Tala app, register, and request the loan, and you’ll receive money on your mobile phone in minutes.