Applications for the YALI Regional Leadership Center Southern Africa online cohort 10 is now open. The Regional Leadership Program seeks to develop young African leaders in Business and Entrepreneurship Development; Civic Leadership; and Public Management and Governance through a hybrid of innovative and complementary approaches that include contact sessions; online mentoring; online self-paced tuition; industry placements and experiential learning.
This is what you need to know about YALI
- The Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) is a signature effort to invest in the next generation of African leaders.
- The need to invest in grooming strong, results-oriented leaders comes out of the statistics: nearly 1 in 3 Africans are between the ages of 10 and 24, and approximately 60% of Africa’s total population is below the age of 35.
- YALI promotes three models designed to identify and empower young leaders: the YALI Mandela Washington Fellowship, YALI Network, and now the establishment of Regional Leadership Centers across Africa.
Objectives of the Regional Leadership Program
- To provide the platform and tools to empower dynamic young Africans
- To awaken their innate leadership potential for the benefit of Africa and its global partners.
How to apply for the Yali Regional Leadership Program
- Currently, the only method for applying to participate in the YALI SA RLC Program is via an online application.
- You will need access to a computer and the Internet to apply.
- Only those applicants who fully complete the online application will be considered.
- Applications and information submitted through email or other means will not be considered by YALI
- You do not have to finish your application in one session. You may save your work and return later to continuing working on your application as many times as necessary until completion.
- Answer all questions on the application in English. Spelling and grammar will be evaluated.
- Questions that require a response are marked with an asterisk (*).
- Questions that are not marked with an asterisk are OPTIONAL and do not have to be completed.
- All answers in the application including written responses to personal statements must be your own, original work.
- Plagiarism will not be tolerated and applicants found to have plagiarized will be disqualified.
- You may wish to review the application and its questions before filling in the application.
- Some applicants find it helpful to create their responses offline (in a separate Word document for example) and then cut and paste their responses into the appropriate sections of the application.
Click here to read the general application instruction
- The Program is open for youths between Age 18-35
- English language proficiency
- Portuguese speaking participants will be accommodated in the Mozambique Hub at UEM
- Have a commitment to positively impact Africa, their own countries as well as communities
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities and interest in Public Management, Entrepreneurship Development and Civic Leadership
- Commitment to serving the development agenda of the African continent
Angola, Botswana, Comoros, Lesotho, Malawi, Madagascar, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, South Africa, Kingdom of Eswatini, Zambia, and Zimbabwe
- Good interpersonal and communications skills
- Knowledge of youth leadership and development issues
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Demonstrate the ability to work in a small or large team setting
- Proven computer skills
- Cultural sensitivity
- Positive attitude
- Dedication, responsibility, and reliability
Over and above, the intended beneficiaries of the program include the following:
- Rural based and economically disadvantaged communities
- Young leaders living with disabilities
- Young leaders in lusophone countries
- People who are HIV positive or who are living with AIDS
- Organisations that represent and advocate for the rights of LGBTI communities across the region
- A proven record of leadership in public service, business, and entrepreneurship, or civic engagement.
- Proven record of knowledge, interest, and professional experience in the sector/track selected.
- Proven record of active engagement in public or community service, volunteerism, or mentorship.
- A commitment to apply leadership skills and training to benefit your country and/or community after the program.
Note: All applications will go through a stringent selection process which will be reviewed by a selection panel. The prospective applicants will be interviewed pending final selection to the program.
Deadline: June 26, 2020
Click here to apply