Born in Niger State Nigeria, Nnamdi Azikiwe was Nigeria’s first President. As a young man, he was exposed to different Nigerian cultures and he fell love in with learning languages, so he was able to speak Nigeria’s three major language (Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo), which was a great asset to him when he became the President.
Described by the New York Times as one who “towered over the affairs of Africa’s most populous nation, attaining the rare status of a truly national hero who came to be admired across the regional and ethnic lines dividing his country.” Nnamdi Azikiwe who was also known as ‘ZIK’ suffered the same fate as many great African leaders, as he was arrested and detained for sedition, but his sentence was overturned some months after his arrest.
He was the editor of African Morning Post (Ghana), founder of West African Pilot ( A paper which promoted nationalism), founder of Southern Nigerian defender, Easter Guardian and the Nigerian Spokesman.
Here are 5 Motivation quotes from the first President of Nigeria, Nnamdi Azikiwe
1. There is plenty of room at the bottom because very few people care to travel beyond the average route. And so most of us seem satisfied to remain within the confines of mediocrity.
2. No matter how old an individual may be, no matter if he is young or old, if he thinks in accordance with the times he is immortal.
3. The realization of New Africa can only be possible by the African cultivating spiritual balance, which leads to the practicalization of social regeneration, to realizing economic determination, becoming mentally emancipated, and ushering in a political resurgence.
4. Originality is the essence of true scholarship. Creativity is the soul of true scholar
5. Each of our three Regions is vastly different in many respects, but each has this in common: that, despite variety of languages and custom or difference in climate, all form part of one country which has existed as a political and social entity for fifty years. That is why we believe that the political union of Nigeria is destined to be perpetual and indestructible.